City of Arcades Day
Cardiff is set for its first City of Arcades Day (November 16) in an effort to raise the profile of the city’s historic shopping arcades and its independent stores.
The event, organised by FOR Cardiff, hopes to increase trade for the independent businesses and shops in the lead up to Christmas. Executive Director of FOR Cardiff, Adrian Field said: “City of Arcades Day is all about celebrating what they bring to the city and encouraging more people to choose Cardiff as their shopping destination.
We’re thrilled to have so many businesses on board and we hope that by hosting events alongside special offers, they draw plenty of new customers in.”.
Alongside the discounts on offer, shoppers will also be treated to entertainment throughout the day, including hula hoop performances, a fashion show and live music.
Naomi Vaughan, founder and director of Pretty Perfect Boutique, said: “As a new business in Morgan Arcade, City of Arcades Day gives us the perfect opportunity to attract new customers and establish our brand.
We love the arcades and we feel right at home amongst other specialist independent businesses.”
Many of Cardiff’s shopping arcades have been welcoming customers for over a century, including Royal Arcade, which was the first arcade to open its’ doors, back in 1858. Adrian Field said: “The Victorian and Edwardian shopping arcades and independent businesses are part of the fabric of Cardiff city centre. They offer a unique shopping experience like no other.”.
FOR Cardiff recently launched the campaign to establish Cardiff as the City of Arcades, gaining recognition by the International Downtown Association. The campaign won the Downtown Achievement Award of Excellence for promoting and celebrating the arcades and businesses within them.
Offers, activities and events can be found on the City of Arcades website at: www.thecityofarcades.com
City of Arcades Day events:
- Back of the house tours of the Morgan Quarter at 10:30am and 2:30pm
- A block printing demo at the Pen and Paper in Royal Arcade at 11:30am
- A fashion show by Andrea’s Closet in Duke Street Arcade at 1pm
- A Dungeons and Dragons day at the Arcade Vaults in High Street Arcade between 12pm and 9pm
- A charity Mario Kart tournament at the Arcade Vaults in High Street Arcade at 5:30pm
- A poetry reading at Waterloo Tea in Wyndham Arcade at 7pm
- An all-day mini Christmas market in Dominions Arcade
- Live music in the day and evening at Polarity Coffee.
- Cole Harris (@ColeHarris348)